Foil is a premium service that is very different than regular printing methods. Foil involves the creation of a custom metal die in the shape of your artwork, which is then used to stamp a foil material onto the surface of the cardstock. We have many different colours of foil available, ranging from Matte colours including White, to metallic colours like Gold or Silver. Each foil colour per side in the design will increase the cost of the order.
While printed ink has a somewhat translucent quality and will show the colour of the paper through light ink colours, Foil is an opaque material that sits on the surface of the stock, and is unaffected by the paper colour underneath.
You should not choose foil if:
- You want the most economical option available
- You are printing a photographic image
- Your design includes gradients
You should choose foil if:
- You need a white design over a coloured paper stock, or need a metallic effect in your design
- You want a premium product
- You are able to set up the proper files for foil stamping
See: File Setup for Foil